Rubbish & Recycling
Where do recycled items go?
All recyclables are collected in Ashland and hauled to a sorting center. The process may vary from one facility to another, but each Materials Recovery Facility has one goal: to separate and recyle different materials so they can be made into new products.
Hence it is important to not contaminate your recycling materials with garbage.
What's Recyclable and What's not?
When is my Trash pickup day?
Ashland runs a 4-day trash week. Tuesday through Friday, which means that the schedule never changes following a Monday holiday. If there are weather related changes, it shall be posted on our website. Subscribe to our newsflashes by clicking 'Notify Me' at the homepage.
Click here to see what streets are covered on what days for Trash pickup.
Waste Reduction Program
The Waste Reduction Program is intended to reduce solid waste management costs for households and the town and increase recycling. The Town of Ashland has contracted with Waste Management Inc. to provide curbside rubbish and recycling pickup for residents. The system is based upon the "Pay as you Throw" concept. The more you recycle the lower your costs will be. Click here for more program information.
New Phone Number
The telephone number for contacting Waste Management for scheduling a bulk item pickup is 800-972-4545
Effective Monday, February 1st, 2010 the cost of the Town of Ashland official Pay-As-You-Throw orange trash bags will be as follows:
- Small bags (14 gallon) will be $5.25 per roll of 5 bags.
- Large bags (33 gallon) will be $9 per roll of 5 bags.
Other Trash Bags
Other trash will only be picked up if placed in official Town of Ashland bags. These bags are available at many locations in town (for e.g. Grocery stores). They are available for purchase in rolls of 5 in either 33-gallon size or 14-gallon size. You will still have the ability to dispose of white goods and bulky waste at no extra cost. Hard to dispose of items such as construction materials may seek alternatives such as special rates or off-site disposal alternatives.
Annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection-Ashland
Click here for more information about the FY 2018 Annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection.
The Town of Ashland works with six other local towns to facilitate the safe and sustainable disposal of Household Hazardous Waste. Each town has designated days when residents can bring in their household hazardous waste items for disposal. Each of the towns have slightly different restrictions, household hazardous waste typically falls into five categories: automotive, cleaning and polishing, paint and related solvents, pesticides, and miscellaneous items (batteries, fingernail polish remover, some cosmetics, shoe polish, etc.). Ashland residents are advised to check that particular town website listed in the document (Click here) to check if and when a hazardous waste collection day has been scheduled.
- Ashland continues to offer scheduled collections for yard waste and Christmas trees.
- Drop-off recycling for electronics, paints, motor oil and other materials will also continue.
- Recycling pick-up is done on a weekly basis. Click here to view a video of a recycling processing center. Note - Do not bag your recycling starting July 2016, per the regulations of the processing plant. All recycling should be loose in your recycling bins/barrels. Keep all plastic bags out of your recycling.
- All recycling of corrugated cardboard will be done at curbside.
Recycling Drop Off
- 1st Saturday of every month
- 9 a.m. - Noon
- Department of Public Works
20 Ponderosa Road
Ashland, MA 01721
- Used motor-oil
- Oil-base paints/stains
- Fluorescent light bulbs (including CFLs)
- Rechargeable and button batteries and contained Mercury (including old thermometers and thermostats)